Association of MBAs
" to be recognised internationally as the authoritative voice in postgraduate management education"
The London based Association of MBAs AMBA celebrated its Golden Jubilee in the year 2017. The agency started out as an association for MBA students is now having a footprint in 150 different countries with 260 accreditation done for the MBM,MBA & DBA programmes in 75 countries. AMBA was the first international accreditation agency to accredit an Indian business school, MDI Gurgaon (now Gurugram) in the year 2005. As of now the agency has 12 accredited schools in India which includes four older Indian Institutes of Management IIM-L, IIM- C, IIM-I, IIM- K. Eight Top Ten privately owned schools, S P Jain-Mumbai, MDI- Gurgaon , IMI- Delhi, NMIMS-Bangalore, Great Lakes- Chennai, XLRI- Jamshedpur, TAPMI-Manipal and ISB- Hyderabad
AMBA accredited schools in India
Mark Stoddard, Director Operations of Association of MBAs speaking at 11th International accreditation conference of SEAA Trust, November 2018
New Criteria for accreditation
AMBA has made key changes for the period 2016-2021 . The new criteria have been designed to clearly identify the distinctive nature of each degree type (MBA, MBM & DBA), and to differentiate them. This has been achieved by providing a definition, core attributes (outcomes) and guiding principles for each programme. The structure of the criteria themselves have been re-adjusted to more naturally follow the flow of the MBA life cycle, starting with the foundation blocks of the Institution and Faculty, moving into Programme Design, Student Recruitment, Graduate Attributes, Curriculum, Assessment, Delivery, and ending with Impact and Outcomes. Download new Criteria
Accreditation process of AMBA is simple but detailed and the starting point is the preliminary application process followed by a detailed self assessment guided by AMBA experts culminating in a peer review site visit the results of which would be submitted to an independent International Accreditation Assessment Board (IAAB) which will eventually recommend to the institution for granting accreditation to the applicant school.
The MBA is a generalist, postgraduate, post-experience degree designed to develop holistic, innovative and socially responsible business leaders for high performance organisations in the global market, through the development of knowledge, skills and values required to succeed in complex environments.
At the core of the accreditation scheme is full recognition of the autonomy of individual degreeawarding Institutions to offer MBA programmes and of the need for individuals and employers to have an internationally recognised accreditation process based on external and peer review of MBA provision.
The key condition is at least one of the programmes of the MBA should have students with an average three years of prior industry experience (MBA Criteria document)
The MBM is a generalist, postgraduate, and predominantly pre-experience degree designed to provide a thorough grounding in the theoretical fundamentals of management – accompanied by substantial practical interventions – in order to enable graduates (usually from any discipline) to successfully begin a management career within a variety of different organisational settings, through the development of integrated knowledge, skills and values.
An accredited MBA portfolio is normally a pre-requisite for the assessment of an Institution’s MBM portfolio; however, if an Institution does not offer an MBA, then MBM accreditation may be permitted in exceptional circumstances. In such cases, an Institution must have been graduating MBM students for a minimum of three years in order to be eligible for accreditation. As an assurance of continuity and sustainability of quality provision, an Institution and its MBM provision will have conformed to the majority of the Association’s criteria for a minimum period of three years prior to its first assessment. (MBM Criteria Document)
DBA is a Doctoral-level, research-based qualification, designed to make a contribution to the enhancement of trans-disciplinary professional practice in management disciplines, in addition to a contribution to knowledge via the development and application of theoretical frameworks, methods, and techniques. A DBA places emphasis on the novel application of theory, as well as the potential creation or testing of theory within the context of practice.
The key component and metric of DBA quality is the research thesis itself, which must demonstrate Doctoral quality as well as a significant contribution to management practice. As such, only programmes which have graduated at least three DBA students over the last three years are eligible for DBA accreditation. . An accredited MBA portfolio is normally a pre-requisite for the assessment of an Institution’s DBA portfolio; however, if an Institution does not offer an MBA, then DBA accreditation may be permitted in exceptional circumstances. (MBA Criteria Document)
1. The MBA Portfolio – In order to ensure clarity and transparency in the marketplace, all programmes awarded by the Institution bearing the designation MBA must be submitted for accreditation.
2. Institutional Integrity, Sustainability & Distinctiveness – The Institution offering an MBA must be sustainable, financially viable, and committed to quality and continuous improvement. It should possess a distinctive market identity which provides the basis for a high quality and successful MBA portfolio.
3. Faculty Quality & Sufficiency – The Institution must be able to provide the MBA portfolio with sufficient and balanced expertise in teaching, research and consultancy that guides the MBA learning experience in a cohesive and integrated way.
4. Programme Design & Leadership – Each MBA programme must be supported and periodically reviewed in a systematic way, with sufficient academic oversight and operational support. The MBA should be designed to represent best practice in management education, taking into account market trends and practices.
5. The Student Cohort Experience – The MBA is designed to be a postgraduate, post-experience qualification for high potential leaders; the admissions process must be rigorous in ensuring that an appropriate, sustainable and diverse cohort is recruited and maintained.
6. Competences, Graduate Attributes & Learning Outcomes – The MBA should have clearly articulated learning outcomes which can be measured and mapped through to course learning outcomes and assessment. Outcomes should broadly reflect AMBA MBA attributes and be aligned to the mission of the Institution.
7. Curriculum Breadth & Depth – The MBA curriculum should be comprehensive and integrative, and clearly delivered at the Masters level.
8. Assessment Rigour & Relevance – The MBA assessment strategy must be robust, varied and to standards that are consistently applied at the Masters level.
9. Delivery & Interaction – In order to develop sufficient generalist management knowledge, skills and values, the MBA programme requires substantial interaction between faculty and the cohort group, in addition to providing appropriate space for private study and reflection.
10. Impact & Lifelong Learning – Graduates should be able to demonstrate significant career enhancement as a result of their MBA and should be supported in their continual development by the Institution.
Join a growing list of over 100 B-schools worldwide as member of Business Graduates Association (BGA) Accreditation of AMBA !
Business Graduates Association (BGA)
The Business Graduates Association (BGA) is an international membership and quality assurance body of world-leading and high-potential Business Schools who share a commitment for responsible management practices and lifelong learning, and are looking to provide positive impact on their students, communities, and the economy as a whole. There are currently more than 110 international Business Schools in the BGA Business School network.
Quality assurance services delivered to Business Schools and similar institutions, aimed at continuous improvement and positive, measurable impact to increase a Business School’s credibility and influence.
No Registration Fee!
Registration open for all three cities!
March 23, 2020
10 00 04 00
March 25, 2020
Courtyard by Marriot
10 00 0400
March 27, 2020
Radisson Blu Atria
10 00 04 00
Consultation and mentorship services to Business Schools to improve their marketing & admissions, programme design, alumni interaction, teaching methods, and career development services.
Award-winning international events for Business School professionals, aimed at promoting in-depth discussions about the future of business education, current challenges, and potential solutions.
Student & graduate membership, which includes professional development tools, global networking events, exclusive access to student and graduate focused Business Impact articles and much more.
Find out more about BGA membership here.
Association of MBAs Development Network ADN is a value added platform for availing of the premium services of AMBA even without even going in for the accreditation process of AMBA. The ADN is not admitting membership any longer. ADN weblink
ADN Member Schools
1. Great Lakes Gurgaon
2. ICBM - School of Business Excellence Hyderabad
3. Rajagiri Business School Kochi
4. School of Inspired Leadership (Soil)Gurgaon
5. Woxsen School of Business Hyderabad
6. Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar (XIMB) Bhubaneswar
7. Manipal International University